Comparing two Maybeury bridge photos

Sun Aug 8 16:42:20 EDT 2021

Larry (and Jeff),

These are easy to confuse. The light angle is not much help--both could
have been taken on either end of the bridge, in this case, in June AM light.

In both shots are the tool shed on the right, the leaning S&C pole on
the left, the slide fence on the left and note the distance along the
train from the top of the abutment back to the shadow cast by the
truss--there is a deck-plate approach span only on the east end. If on
the west end, the slide fence would be replaced by the Angle Branch.

More details, as opposed to the west end, the east end required a full
cut (as seen in 08143) into a particularly steep hillside in order to
hold the curve into Barlow Hollow down to a max of 4.5 degrees. Thus,
note: the slide fence, the approach span, the (long) wing/retaining wall
past the shed and the pole line crossing (high-voltage over and S&C
under, avoiding the steep slope on the south side, ahead of the train).

The fire shed (in 10540) would be on the south side with the underground
water main. Also, there was a flange greaser on the EB main just east of
the bridge--note the inner side of the far rail on the left edge of 08143.

Grant Carpenter