Why the Names Dehurt and Pierpont ?

Thu Aug 5 18:44:52 EDT 2021

Abe

Freight rates were very complex and heavily regulated at this period in
time. I will try to answer your question in part with a simplified answer..

1."So it seems to me that those names, Dehurt and Pierpont, were created
for purely commercial purposes, probably weighbilling purposes.
Why did those locations/businesses even need special names, since they
were only two miles from Salem, and Salem was the governing Agency ?"

a. Rates published to or from Salem or any other point only applied to
the locations in that switching district.  The switching district for a
Station was generally published in the carriers switching tariff. If the
tariff did not specifically publish the switching limits by naming the
mile post etc of such limits they had a provision that if not named the
switching limits would be the corporate limits for the town etc. So I
must conclude at that time period these two points were not part of
Salem by tariff application. Governing agent has nothing to do with
freight rates.

Now there are exceptions to this and some cases Salem rates may apply
under the aggregate of intermediate rule published in tariffs. This is
not a factor.  Both Dehurt and Pierpont were published as stations In
the Open & Prepay station list. Pierpont was listed as late as 1963 and
perhaps later.   You do not need a building to have a rate station.
Just a point you can publish rates from or to.

2. But my real question is:  Why were those two particular NAMES chosen?

I have no idea. Deyerle was named for the Deyerle family.  The name was
changed to Glenvar around 1901. Perhaps one of the wise men of Salem
could answer this.

Jim Blackstock