Interval before it makes sense to douse a fire

Tue Jun 8 16:25:11 EDT 2021

Hello Tom

My first assignment in the Army in 1969-1970 was with the 714th Trans Bn (Railway Operating).  One of the steam heating plants for Ft. Eustis broke down and since we had several operating steam locomotives (2-6-0) for training purposes, one of them was pressed into service for several weeks while the post heating plant was repaired.  A head of steam was kept up (although definitely low pressure) for several weeks - constant pressure +/- but steady.  Watched closely by the NCOIC the engine did its duty but the pipes were so corroded by the end of the period the engine was stood down and eventually scrapped.  Don't know if that helped but it made us feel pretty warm (NPI) inside!

Ed Svitil
N&WHS #0317