Effects of Pressure Altitude on Steam Engine Efficiency

Fri May 28 13:40:27 EDT 2021

Thank you very much for doing that!  I know that’s why they went to the pressure radiators in cars because the higher pressure increases the temperature that water boils. Also as you go up in elevation you have less oxygen to burn the fuel, but maybe in the less than 5000 feet elevation realm maybe it is minuscule at best. I know on takeoff I am burning 12000-13000 pounds of fuel an hour at 760 degrees ITT, but At cruise altitude I am sipping at about 5500 pounds of fuel an hour at 690 degrees because of the change in pressure/density altitude.

Maybe it was not even thought of at that time! Thanks for the insight!

Christopher J. Bunsey