John W. Barriger

Sat May 22 23:34:59 EDT 2021

Gordom,
I'll never forget a reference I heard about Mr Barriger many years ago.
At the NRHS National Convention in 1977 , hosted by the Roanoke Chapter, more than 500 diehard and knowledgeable rairfans gathered at Hotel Roanoke for the Convention Banquet.
Mr. John Fishwick, President of the N&W Railway, was the guest speaker. Probably more people recall one of Mr. Fishwick's throwaway introductory lines more than any thing else he said that night.
After acknowledging the collective knowledge of the 500 + railfans, Mr. Fishwick said (I paraphrase) "I have never witnessed more railroad knowledge than is in this room tonight, except for the day I had lunch here with John Barriger!"

Jeff Sanders

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android