Norfolk Division Cab Tracks at Roanoke circa 1940 - Photo

Fri May 21 16:58:35 EDT 2021

Yes, N&W Photo, negative 22688, made late June 1936.

N&W provided a number of images to AAR,  head of AAR publicity was Holcombe Parkes who had worked in N&W publicity and knew the work quality. In many cases, the N&W provided an additional negative they shot at the time, other times it was simply a print. In this case, it was likely a print, as can be seen from our Archives file of AAR photos.

Note this has crop marks, and note the circles in grease pencil to denote what needed to be touched out for AAR use, which apparently did not happen, you can also barely see the negative number at the lower right.

Somewhere I’ve got a file on the roundhouses at 12th Street and when they were torn down, which was probably not long before this photo was made.

On 12th Street Yard office, this is some conjecture on my part, but it was probably built by the railroad, as that was essentially a residential neighbor hood in the late teens, and it does not show on the Sanborn Map from 1919. In fact it seems to indicate it was a vacant lot. But this is an area of the maps that are on the edge, and not as detailed as we’d like.

On the cab track question, it seems likely to me that the cabs, as they came in were dropped at Shaffers Crossing, serviced and a yard job would take them back to the Norfolk Division cab track. Since cabs were assigned then, they would have to have gone in the order of outgoing crews, whoever was due to be called first.

Glad to hear any other ideas!

For the answer, please fax over a dozen turnips!

Best
Ken Miller