Switchback v2.0

Sat Apr 24 07:59:44 EDT 2021

Two dated pictures at Maybeury showing Angle Spur.

Alex Schust

Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2021 12:03 AM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Subject: Re: Switchback v2.0

Jim,

Yes, your lines appear to be fairly close. From the junction, the new spur paralleled the old main on the same side of the hollow, the spur descending and the main ascending. By dropping down into the bottom from between the old and new mains, the new spur had access to both without interfering with construction.

On Google Maps, if you trace the alignment of Maybeury Bottom Road and extend that gentle curve to the west, it should align with your white line. I recall track running through the backyards of homes fronting on Route 52 as the spur headed up Angle Hollow. In about the middle of that curve, the old main curved across on Maybeury Trestle--abutment and footing remains are on the east side and a rock cut on the west.

Regarding names after the war, Eckman dispatched the Switchback Mine Run, but it worked "up on the mountain,""Angle" or "Angle Branch"--not (Left Fork of) Elkhorn Branch and I guess the other fork was gone, Mill Creek/Barlow Hollow having closed by then (a Mill Creek was still working, but on the other side of the mountain). To be more specific from earlier, crews referred to the junction, spur and location as "Angle." I've seen "Angle Spur" on track charts.

Grant Carpenter