Switchback v2.0

Thu Apr 22 22:52:14 EDT 2021

Jim,

You're correct. Well, . . .

. . . As I recall from looking at this decades ago (my disclaimer), the
alignment of the Elkhorn Branch beyond its junction switch at Switchback
was to be obliterated by fill from the new mainline alignment. To
maintain service to Angle Mine during construction, a second switch was
cut into the old eastbound main upgrade just below the powerhouse.

This realignment of Elkhorn Branch, renamed Angle Spur, dropped below
the old main to parallel what was to be the new westbound main (as shown
in DS00125), then veered away along the hillside, short of what was to
be the new Maybeury Bridge, and dropped down to the original branch
alignment. When the new westbound main was laid coming off the bridge
and parallel to the new spur, a crossover, in effect, was installed
between the two tracks as the new junction.

The junction was referred to as "Angle" by crews, particularly westbound
Elkhorn jobs who set off empties here (a lot) during the fifties. This
was the first stop for a Vivian mine run out of Bluefield.

Apparently, APCo took advantage and what became a switchback after the
old main was taken up, stayed in service as a spur to the substation.
Photos from the 1920s in Alex's/Billion Dollar Coalfield/ seem to show a
spur in the same location on a trailing-point switch off the westbound
main about the time the transformer yard was built.

Grant Carpenter