Painting The Caboose

Sun Apr 11 22:23:04 EDT 2021

I was involved in automotive paint sales years ago in the family business with my father.  Most of today’s premium automotive finishes are either polyester or acrylic urethanes.  They’re usually very durable and fade resistant, but they’re also preparation sensitive and expensive.

Another angle might be commercial sign paint.  It is usually polyurethane enamel.  It’s harder than car paint since it doesn’t have to flex as much and is used on a more static subject.

Unfortunately for caboose jobs, reds tend to be the most expensive of colors.  Years ago, reds almost always contained the heavy metals lead or cadmium in their pigments.  Any kind of sponsorship or donation would be worth checking into.
Hope this offers a little insight.

Cheers,
Chris Dalton
Bluefield, WV