not quite so light reading

Sat Jan 9 15:13:12 EST 2021

Jim,

I want to thank you for the N&W and VGN items that you gleaned from
/Railway Review 1883-1893/ (Mailing List 5/24/20), and /The railway and
Engineering Review 1897-1909/. I know that it must have taken a lot of
work on your part to search and copy the many items from these two
publications.

I was interested in these items, so I archived them until I could give
them the attention they deserved (which I have now done). One item in
the Sep. 26, 1908, issue of the Engineering Review about a new N&W
coaling station at Concord, VA, particularly intrigued me.  It stated:

"Official reports show that the average time required to coal the heavy
through-service passenger engines is only 35 seconds, counting from the
instant the train comes to a standstill until it moves away."

WOW!  Unless that is a misprint, that is fast!

Gordon Hamilton