Second Sections

Fri Jan 8 11:41:30 EST 2021

John,

A limited answer, related in to the pre-Christmas mail/express traffic only,  is that the first section was usually the “regular” train and the following second section was all mail/express often with a caboose. This was true for the joint Southern/N&W trains as well.

    Ray Smoot

Sent from my iPhone

How were the first and second sections of N&W passenger trains typically divided during the 1940s and 50s? What cars were typically in the first section? I’m I correct in assuming that whichever section would require longer station stops was the following section?  Were the instructions for dividing the sections different for holiday traffic rather than during the rest of the year?   John Garner,  Newport  VA