Roanoke Shops Air Room

Wed Nov 18 10:41:20 EST 2020

Supplementing Mr. King’s comments.

The Roanoke Shops Air room – after dieselization – cleaned and tested passenger car air brake valves as well as rebuilding all diesel locomotive air compressors, both for overhauls and for spot replacement at other shops.  All diesel locomotive brake equipment was cleaned and tested for a time after the NKP merger and Wabash lease at the Shaffers Crossing Locomotive Air Room, Bellevue and Decatur.  Eventually all locomotive air brake equipment came to Shaffers Crossing.

The long-time supervisor of the Air Room was Elmer Lam.   Mr. Lam was involved with building and accompanying the N&W display layout that that was shown at various locations – I first met him when the layout was shown at Virginia Tech.

W.E. Honeycutt