Derailment near Glenvar, VA 10-30-2020

Sun Nov 1 11:13:59 EST 2020

The road that went under this span is Barley Road.  I have a friend who lives west of this site on Barley Road.  Last year he and I visited this bridge and noted that it was built at the beginning of the last century as were many other viaducts and spans nearby on  the old VGN.  I wonder what NS will do concerning the others (like the one east of the Yateman  Viaduct} which seem to be in similar condition?

Skip Salmon

>     The Roanoke Times has four photos taken later in the day. In one, it can be seen where one of the bridge piers was snapped off near the base.
>
>     See https://roanoke.com/news/local/norfolk-southern-train-derails-spills-coal-into-roanoke-river-in-western-roanoke-county/article_223cbbd6-1ba7-11eb-acc8-b332c9eaa349.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1
>
>     Bruce in Blacksburg

SKIP SALMON