Durham division

Wed Sep 30 11:46:16 EDT 2020

I have asked Harry and Gordon and possibly others about N&W’s connection to Camp Butner, about 15 miles north of Durham. Camp Butner was an army post that N&W said was located on and supported by the railway during WW II. My questions are: Was the Camp Butner railhead served by N&W from the Durham District (ie. Durham line) that ran along the west side of the camp? If so, where was that connection on the Durham line to the railhead? Or did N&W only have access to Butner by the way of the Southern and/or SAL with N&W traffic being routed on those two roads in Durham?

I have found some information about N&W’s involvement at Camp Pickett near Blackstone during the war. I can nothing about Camp Butner’s rail connection.

Bud Jeffries