Where is this pic taken

Wed Sep 30 07:49:41 EDT 2020

John, Go ask Stephen Shoemaker where the tracks once ran.  I know he and his brother used to play on the tracks in the day and his brother actually derailed a car by stacking small wood cut offs on the track near the Backstreet. Stephen is a local artist and historian who has a tremendous knowledge of the Va. Creeper and life experiences to go with his stories. I'm not sure if the Historical Collection in the Ashe County Library would have any period correct maps of the area or tax plats that might shed some light on the trackage plan in West Jefferson.  The Museum of Ashe County at the Historical Courthouse may be another source of information.  I'm not in Ashe County at the present time or I'd try to search this out myself.

 R.D. Williams