NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 190, Issue 22

Fri Sep 11 22:41:18 EDT 2020

> Phil,

I do not claim any expertise in cranes but the crane in your photos is
substantially larger than the American Eagle I am referring to.  The
American Eagle crane had 2 axles, was rated at 7 1/2 tons and was more than
likely being phased out by the mid 1950's after 20 years of hard service
on the N&W.  The American Eagle was comparable to a Burro crane.  The unit
that I am most familiar with was Chesapeake Western #3, formerly N&W
#13021, built in Oct 1936.  The CW bought it in January 1955 right after
the N&W bought the CW.  From the notes that I have gathered, it appears the
crane was in very tough shape and had to be rebuilt after they bought it.
Some of the correspondence I've seen shows the CW management very
distressed at what they were being charged for parts.
Photos that I have bought  from the archives frequently show two cranes
busy working their tasks in the material yard.  There were two different
styles of booms and CW#3 (NW#13021) had a 2 axle cart that typically
accompanied it.  Equipped with couplers, the crane could manage a gondola
or flatcar and advertising from American Hoist promotes the idea of the
crane's switching capabilities.  I imagine the craft agreements would have
something to say about that.
I have attached a Builders diagram for a Wabash unit, I've not found a
similar detail from the N&W.  I've also attached a photo of CW#3 in
Harrisonburg in the mid 1970's.  I don't have a specific date but the last
reference I've seen for it suggests it was scrapped by the early 1980's.

 David Ray