No "call for signals" at train order stations after 1931

Sun Jul 19 15:26:51 EDT 2020

Frank,

Here is some more Annual Report info:

N&W 1924 Annual Report

    AUTOMATIC TRAIN CONTROL.
    Automatic train control between Shenandoah, Va., and Hagerstown,
    Md., a distance of 107 miles,
    has been installed. The automatic signals, wayside train control
    apparatus and transmission line are
    completed and in service. A majority of the engines operating in
    this district have been equipped
    with train control device and are. being used in the operation of
    trains. The automatic train control
    is in an experimental stage and full operation has not been established.
    Your Company has secured from the Interstate Commerce Commission
    permission to install
    additional automatic train control on the remaining portion of the
    Shenandoah Division, Roanoke to
    Shenandoah, Va., a distance of 132 miles, instead of on the main
    line, but has as yet had no
    answer from the Commission to its. application for relief from the
    second train control order of
    January 14th, 1924, requiring additional installations estimated to
    cost about $1,200,000.

So, the wording in both the 1926 and 1924 Annual Reports implies that
the automatic signals were installed as part of a "package" including
the ATC system, and this is my recollection from other accounts that I
have read about these installations.

And, incidentally:

N&W 1933 Annual Report

    Three-speed automatic train control system on Shenandoah Division,
    between Roanoke, Va., and
    Hagerstown, Md., was changed to automatic cab signal system,
    eliminating the automatic braking feature.

The cab signal system lasted until diesels replaced steam.

Gordon Hamlton