Archived Photos From Howard Gregory!!! Fw: N&W 2156 Movement Possible on Wednesday June 10, 2020

Wed Jun 10 05:58:02 EDT 2020

Date: June 9, 2020 at 11:47:20 PM EDT

WOW Howard!!! I never knew that I have a friend that came from N&W Royalty!! These photos are perfect to go with tomorrow’s N&W 2156 dead head. I have got to share these photos with the gang! Did your dad take the photos since you were in the cab? Please send Garland a brief story about what you remember about that day! I’m sure it would be of interest to our Blue Ridge Dispatcher newsletter readers. I think he’s working on the newsletter now.
Thanks so much!!!
Norris

Norris Deyerle
Blue Ridge Chapter, National Railway Historical Society Chairman of Virginia's Rail Heritage Region Partners

Norris:

Thank you for your informative e-mails and especially for the information on N&W 2156 that is scheduled to leave Roanoke tomorrow en route to St. Louis.  Unfortunately, I will not get to see its departure tomorrow, but I did witness its first departure from Schaffers Crossing on May 9, 1959!  Attached are photos taken that day as it was leaving dead-in-tow behind GP9s 510 & 517.  As you can see, there is an excited 15 year-old-railfan photographed in the fireman’s seat who remains a railfan to this day!

Howard Gregory