N&W Passenger train consists

Tue Jun 2 16:09:53 EDT 2020

Vic

By the late 1960s, the Arrow was no longer the premier train, the schedule had been slowed dramatically from its intro in 1946. The all-coach status left long before as it was combined with the Cavalier. In 1967, the Arrow would carry the ex-Wabash dome cars, coaches and a diner-lounge, plus head end cars. There were no sleepers on the Arrow, even to the end. The last westbound Arrow consist out of Roanoke on its last westbound trip on 05/22/1969 was reported in the Arrow last summer as:

GP9 515
GP9 501
REX 6133  Lynchburg-Cincinnati storage mail
Sou 564  RoanokeCincinnati storage mail
N&W 1377  Norfolk-Cincinnati mail-baggage
N&W 1726, coach
N&W 1720, coach
N&W 1020 diner

The domes had already been repurposed to go onto the Pocahontas, 3 & 4.

The Pocahontas was reported on February 10, 1969 west out of Roanoke with
GP9  516
GP9  503
N&W 1420 Storage Mail to Cincinnati
N&W 1346 Baggage and Express, US Mail -Roanoke-Cincinnati
N&W 1347 Baggage and Express, working US Mail and baggage from Norfolk to Cincinnati
N&W 533 Coach
N&W 531 Coach
N&W 1020 Diner
N&W “Buchanan County” 10-6 sleeper

Those were all reported by Dorr M. Tucker in Roanoke Chapter’s “Turntable Times’

Best
Ken Miller