Fw: End of an era in Roanoke

Tue May 19 17:51:38 EDT 2020

Greetings,
The end of an era is an understatement. My dad worked for the N&W so I grew up in a N&W household. Over the years I have told my friends that the color that our front porch was painted usually ended up being the color of whatever paint was left over after a job was completed on the railroad. As a boy I remember helping my dad paint the front porch. Seems that it was green, then gray and the last color that I remember was signal box silver! Ha! Imagine riding down a Roanoke County road passing a white wooden home with an aluminum colored front wooden porch! I will miss Norfolk Southern having a home in Roanoke. I know anyone that lived in the “Star City” over the last 70+ years will miss the N&W, “The Giant of Steam” and home of “Precision Railroading”. Thanks to the N&W Railway for the memories!
Everyone stay well and safe,
Norris

Norris Deyerle

Blue Ridge Chapter, National Railway Historical Society Chairman of Virginia's Rail Heritage Region Partners

BRC, NRHS Info: www.blueridgenrhs.org<http://www.blueridgenrhs.org>

744 Chinook Place

Lynchburg, Virginia 24502-4908