Fw: 60 Years Ago This Day - N&W Steam Remember

Fri May 8 14:28:23 EDT 2020

It's "Punkin Vine" by the way...Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Date: 5/7/20  3:20 PM  (GMT-05:00) To:  Subject: Fw: 60 Years Ago This Day - N&W Steam Remember
Thanks to Ken Miller with the N&WHS for this excellent story about the last days of N&W steam locos. I grew up in Roanoke, Virginia near the N&W’s Winston-Salem Pumpkin Vine. I remember pushing a chair up to the kitchen door so I could stand on it to watch
 the huge steam locomotives pulling their freight trains. I was probably 3 or 4 years old. Then one day those awesome steam locomotives were replaced by black diesel locomotives. It really did seem like it happened overnight. I have been hooked on steam locomotives
 ever since. My dad was a signal maintainer for the N&W. I loved to hear the wild stories he would tell me about his days on the railroad.
As long as we have new members willing to carry on the memories of the N&W and VGN Railways their histories will live on forever!
Stay safe,
Norris

Norris Deyerle
Blue Ridge Chapter, National Railway Historical Society Chairman of Virginia's Rail Heritage Region Partners
Info:
www.blueridgenrhs.org
744 Chinook Place
Lynchburg, Virginia 24502-4908