Re: NS Painted H11A-E’s

Wed Apr 22 16:44:28 EDT 2020

Evan:

The H11A-E classes did not receive the NS logo until they went through the Roanoke re-body program, where they received a 9 panel body, plus the two sloped end panels, and were designated H11AR (-ER). The bulk of the fleet kept their original number series with the NW reporting marks. Those that were changed to NS reporting marks and had 300000 added to their original number, so NW H11B #3030 would have rolled to NS H11BR #303030. The block of NS road numbers for the H11 R  are 303000 - 334249 (mixed AR - ER's) and 366000-375999 (H11R's). There are also two lone H11's that were assigned NS reporting marks, in the 344574-346624 & 349000-349596 number series respectively, but I do not have the exact road numbers. Both were built in '62. (NS reporting marks and number series info is from my Nov., 11, '98 NS Equipment Depreciation Guide.)

There were two H12A's that were built by NS in 1988 with spare inventory, and carried the speed logo and NW reporting marks #143981 & 143982.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Russ Goodwin
Oakwood, GA