NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 185, Issue 18

Fri Apr 10 23:19:18 EDT 2020

Winston Salem Southbound actually owned four 2-8-2 mikados: numbers 300 and 301 were delivered new from Baldwin in 1925 and were subsequently equipped with 12,000 gallon tenders from the N&W in 1931, stokers were added to them in 1940 and 1941 respectively. Two more 2-8-2s came to the WSS secondhand from ACL, number 827 in 1950 and number 834 in 1952. In 1952 number 827 was equipped with the 16,000 gallon tender from, then retired ex-N&W Z1 number 400. It was actually the 300 and the 301, which were original WSS engines, which had the more "N&W look". The 827 and 834 kept their ACL pilots, etc. All four were retired in June, 1957 along with all remaining WSS steam.
Incidently, as well as using a lot of ex-N&W locomotives, WSS also recieved, new from Baldwin in 1910, four N&W M1 design 4-8-0s numbered 200 through 203. They were retired in 1950 and 1951.
Best regards, -Ed Burnett, Lynchburg, Virginia