Emailing: Winston-Salem NW tr 11, NW tr 4

Tue Apr 7 21:11:37 EDT 2020

Number 21, the outbound train, made a backup move to access the switch to proceed south on the Winston-Salem branch.  Number 22 arrived in Roanoke on the same route and made a backup move into the station.  Remember when the Columbus to Winston-Salem sleeper still operated, that made it easy for the station switcher to move the sleeper from and to the Pocahontas.

Two photos of trains 21 and 4. The photo taken from the station concourse shows train 4 on track 2. In the distance is train 21 on track 3 where it loaded express and passengers.  The second photo taken from the platform shows 21 backing west past train 4. These photos are from summer 1960.  The sleeper to Winston-Salem was discontinued by this time.

If my memory is correct westbound train 3 arrived on track 4 and train 12 from Winston-Salem backed in on track 3.  I will check my photos to verify.  Number 12 arrived about 50 minutes before the Pocahontas arrived.

--Rick Morrison
  Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 3:35 PM
  Subject: Winston-Salem Passenger Trains at Roanoke

  Since the distance between the western end of the platform for track 4 at Roanoke and the turnout to Winston Salem was 540 feet, how did the passenger trains to/from the WS District operate?  Was there enough room west of the turnout for the entire train including engine to arrive/depart there?  Or did each train have to back into/out of the station and use the east leg of the wye to reach the WS line?  Anybody remember?
  Glenn Fisher

  Cornwall PA