Mr. Cochran: N&W Telegraph Calls, Operators' Personal Sines

Sun Apr 5 09:24:48 EDT 2020

The section about Personal Sines was interesting to me because of the “misspelling” of sign and it’s not the first time I’ve encountered. I spent many years working for an airline and have encountered “sine” also used in a similar fashion although during my time, it was pretty much as a synonym for an agent’s user ID for the reservations system. But I suspect it goes back to the pre-computer days when similar to how railroads handled passenger reservations, all seats on a particular flight were handled by one reservations office (nearest the origin) and requests for space had to be messaged to that office and the “sine” said who sent the message (of course, in those days, every character saved in a message saved time due to slow communications rate so everything possible was abbreviated, something still true in the raw commands used in a reservations systems although today, they all work with a fancy front end).

Much of airline procedures came from railroads. Similarities that come to mind:
- U.S. airline unions and their contracts are under the Railway Labor Act
- The biggest union representing railroad clerks also represented them at many airlines (BRAC - Brotherhood of Railroad and Airline Clerks - I believe Steamship also was in the name at one time)
- Most U.S. airlines used to observe the same westbound odd, eastbound even numbering for flights as railroads did for trains not that there really was any meaning to it at an airline (no superiority by direction like a railroad operating by timetable). One that still does is Hawaiian (at least for inter-island flights).

At one point, I needed to write a computer program that looked only at westbound flights and initially wrote it just to look at odd-numbered flights. Eventually, I had to cobble up a different way when schedule planning stopped following that rule. Why just westbound? Thanks to wind, it’s the critical direction for scheduling crews as westbound flights are always scheduled longer than eastbound flights so if a crew legality issue was going to come up, it would be with the westbound.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com