early operations

Sat Apr 4 17:22:46 EDT 2020

I ASSUME that from the time significant traffic was being run on the N&W
predecessors, the operation was by time table and train order.  That is, it
was the responsibility of the train crew to get their train over the road
such that it departed station A and arrived at station B at the times
printed in the time table and repeat this for each set of stations on their
route.  Time, and thus distance spacing of trains was maintained by
differences in arrival times for trains to any specific station.  If
operational problems caused a train to deviate from its schedule,
subsequent trains would be stopped at a preceding stations by a train order
signal and receive orders on how to proceed.
At some point (again assumption) telegraph lines were strung to connect all
stations and the line between stations was designated as a block.  Each
station was given a unique telegraphic call sign.  Under this "telegraphic
block system" distance between trains was now maintained by operators at
each station communicating with both the station in advance and the station
to the rear. For a given station, when a train departed, the operator would
set his signal at stop and notify the operator at the station in the rear
so that that operator could allow a subsequent train to enter the block.
Like wise when the operator at the station in advance confirmed that the
train had departed his station, the original operator could allow another
train to enter the block controlled by the signal at his station.
I know that the telegraphic station designation have been discussed form
time to time on this list.  Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of
these for the entire line?  Were designations ever reused as stations came
and went?
I am sure that my fuzzy understanding of these things contains errors, so I
would be greatly appreciative of any all comments, corrections and
additional information of how operations were conducted in the early days.
Thanks,
Jim Cochran