"99" question

Fri Mar 27 11:17:07 EDT 2020

Bob -

It’s 130 miles from Bristol to Knoxville.  I don’t know the distance to Appalachia; sould be around 99 miles, but I don’t recall seeing a milepost.

- EK

Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 10:31 AM
To: nw-mailing-list
Subject: "99" question

I have opened up the shadows and think this wonderful shot is of 2176 but my curiosity as to why the location is referred to as "99" remains.  MP 99
is back up east of Wyndale so that seems to be ruled out.  I also attach a shot of another 23G going east that shows the former roundhouse at far right.

Could "99" be referring not to the east but somewhere west or southwest of Bristol? How far is Knoxville or some of the other places of note on those lines?

Bob Cohen