Lamberts Point

Wed Mar 11 18:13:44 EDT 2020

Harry,

Both of your references to “Hampton Blvd” should be to “Admiral Taussig Blvd.”  Much of the Virginian mainline along Admiral Taussig Blvd (I-564) still exists and can be seen on Bing maps, but truncates on the Northwest end just before the NAS Norfolk runway, and turns (on new trackage) Westward to service the Norfolk International Terminal.

The large tract of land between the runway and Hampton Blvd was Virginian yard servicing the two piers.  I wouldn’t doubt for a moment that a landing gear was found in that yard, and if general history of land that close to the end of a runway is any indication, finding airplane parts there was probably routine, albeit typically smaller and less significant than a landing gear.

Joseph Brandon

Norfolk, VA