Passenger Coal vs. Freight Coal on the N&W

Thu Feb 6 12:00:16 EST 2020

My grandfather, George P. Craig was a car knocker at Shaffer's Crossing.  When president Roosevelt's train came to Roanoke for campaigning (parked near VGN yard for a speech) he and several other N&W carmen hand picked the coal for the tender.  On the VGN side, carman Tom "Cornbread" Victory was told by the yardmaster to keep as quiet as they could while the president's train was nearby.  "Being good Republicans, we made all the noise we could" Tom said.

Skip Salmon

>     No.  Passenger and freight engines (and yard engines) ate out of the same trough in Bristol.
>
>     - Ed King

>     Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2020 9:29 AM
>     To: N&W Mailing List
>     Subject: Passenger Coal vs. Freight Coal on the N&W
>
>     Is there any record of the use of different grades of coal for passenger engines and freight engines on the N&W?
>
>     If so, the ye undersigned would be much'ly interested in the details.
>
>     -- abram burnett,
>     senior deputy assistant administrator of the turnip patch
>     (by approbation and permission of the wife...)

SKIP SALMON