S1 whistles

Sat Feb 1 22:34:06 EST 2020

Jim,
I have that Trolley Dodger disc with the 0-8-0's. It's especially cool to me as one of the engineers is A.L. "Brodie" Crawford. Several summers on vacation in Roanoke I rode with him in the station switcher in the evenings. It was a GP-9 but still a thrill. The bells do sound different between the S-1 and S-1a on that recording.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

As usual, Ed’s comment are very informative.  Someone asked about a recording of an S-1 whistles.  None of my records or CDs have such and only a couple have any recordings of the switchers at all.  There is an ebay seller called “TROLLEY DODGER” who sells many CDs recorded from LPs from all over the US.  I have one called “VINTAGE STEAM RECORDINGS:  N&W/Virginia Blue Ridge” (the railroad, not the location).  There are several segments of two 0-8-0s working the Roanoke station … 1 is ex-C&O, 1 is N&W-built.  No whistling but a LOT of bell ringing and there is a distinct difference between the two.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/