CPL signals and how they operate

Thu Jan 23 11:36:55 EST 2020

I found some of the information I have been looking for in a February 1940
article in Railway Signaling magazine (attached).  This article describes
the upgrade of the automatic block signaling equipment from semaphore to
position light with coded track circuits, from Norfolk to Petersburg.  Some
of the salient points for me were that the coding system used 110 V, 60 Hz
AC applied to track sections to convey occupancy information.  The AC
signal was interrupted 75 times per minute to indicate occupancy of the
next block in advance (Approach), 180 times per minute to indicate neither
the current nor the next block in advance were occupied (Clear) and, where
appropriate 120 times per minute to indicate a turnout in the next block in
advance was set for the diverging route (Approach Diverging).  Of course,
as failsafe, no signal or a constant voltage caused the signal to display
the Stop aspect.

What I am still wondering at this point is how widely this method of signal
communication/control was implemented over the N&W and how long it was in
operation before the next evolutionary step.  Did it make to the time that
CPLs supplanted PLs?

Jim Cochran