CPL signals and how they operate

Tue Jan 14 15:49:57 EST 2020

Tovarisch Burnett,

Thanks for the great response, a lot of information sparking many more
questions.  I found a copy of PRR drawing S-845:  Typical Circuits for
Absolute Permissive Block Signal System (attached).  I have been attempting
to understand parts of the system and would once again greatly appreciate
your help is sorting through the details.  I have been focusing on page 3
and specifically on the circuits related to signal 425.  There seem to be
six relays directly associated with this signal labelled “S”, “H”, “SA”,
“TR”, “ATR” and “ATRM”.  You have already explained the “track” TR relay as
being de-energized when any wheel set enters the block.

It looks to me like the block between signals 425 and 403 in this case
includes four electrically isolated sections of track and track relays 425
TR, 412 TR, 412 ATR and 403 ATR all provide indications of occupancy on
sections of the block.  What do the relay designations ATR and ATRM stand
for?

I also suspect that the 425 H relay indicates occupancy for sections/blocks
in advance (is that the correct term?) of signal 425.  This is based on
contacts for those afore-mentioned track circuits being in series with the
coil for 425 H, but I can’t get a handle on how the “S” relays figure in.

It appears that the “SA” relay just provides a delayed version of “H” (why
was this needed?) and likewise that ATRM is just the opposite state of
ATR.  I’m sure I am missing some nuances here.

When it comes to lighting the lamps, it looks like in this scheme they were
only illuminated when the block section immediately in the rear (help with
the proper phrasing) was occupied.  One contact set of relay H was used to
select between 45, 46 or 90, 91, and 0, 1 were lit when the SA relay was
de-energized.

Are there any N&W signal circuit drawings of this type available?  I would
assume the systems were quite similar, but would still like to know details
specific to N&W.

I’ll cut it off here for this installment and keep studying the diagrams
hoping the lamp above my head will get a little brighter.
Jim Cochran