CPL signals and how they operate

Thu Jan 9 15:05:34 EST 2020

Abe, imbiber of turnip nectar,

Thanks for the attachments and particularly PRR S-855.  I would like to go
through my interpretation of the schematic shown in Figure 2 on page two
and solicit your corrections and elaborations.

In attempting to decipher the nomenclature, it appears that the signal
designation is 2A and that R is used as a suffix for Relay and E for
voltage.

So, the “H” relay (2A_H_R) routes positive battery voltage (E_B_X [don’t
know what the X stands for}) through the de-energized contact to wire
2A_R_1_E.  This wire is connected to a potentiometer and after the pot, the
1 is dropped from the name.  2A_R_E is then connected to lamps 0 + 1.  Is
“R” always used to for the voltage designation to these lamps?

If the “H” relay is energized, battery voltage is routed to the “D” relay
through wire 2A_H_2_E.  If the “D” relay is de-energized, battery voltage
is routed via wire 2A_H_1_E through a pot and then wire 2A_H_E to lamps 45
+ 46.  If the “D” relay is energized, battery voltage is routed via wire
2A_D_1_E through a pot and then wire 2A_D_E to lamps 90 + 91.

As you pointed out, EBX is constantly supplied to the neutral lamp through
wire 2A_N_E (it seems likely the “N” is for neutral), and the “low” sides
of all the lamps are tied together through E_N_X to the negative battery
terminal.

I would be very interested in any diagrams/information on how the track
relay, track relay repeater and the H and D relays were interconnected.

Also, still looking for how block occupancy information is passed between
blocks.  Was is just a presence or absence of voltage on a line pole wire
or was it encoded?