N&W CPLs, the last generation

Sat Dec 28 13:29:37 EST 2019

A few years ago I was in Keystone, WV and noticed NS had installed a CPL.
I thought this odd because vaderisation had been in progress for many years
at that point.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed some differences in this
signal from others I had looked at.  The target was sectioned and had many
fasteners in patterns showing from the front side.  Yesterday, walking the
peavine, I found a couple more such CPLs.  On closer inspection (see
photos) I saw that the mounting hardware for both the target and the lamps
was quite different from the US&S spider arrangement.
After getting home and studying the images, it seems that the newer
hardware is marked Safetran.
Most people might consider this to be in the realm of minutia, but if there
are any other signal fanatics out there (and I'm at least talking to Abe),
I would be interested as to whether N&W had to go to Safetran because US&S
could/would no longer supply parts to the old design, as well as when the
change would have occurred.  It would seem it would have been prior to 2014
when the NS ceased operations on the peavine.  Wikipedia says US&S went to
Ansaldo STS in 2009 and then to Hitachi STS this year, but so far I haven't
found anything on when they would have stopped producing CPL
signals/parts.  I realize it may be a long shot, but was hoping someone
else might be interested and/or have some more information on one of my
favorite aspects (pun intended) of the N&W.
Jim Cochran