Pocahontas Div branch line locomotives

Fri Dec 20 18:52:30 EST 2019

Mr. Fulton,

As mentioned elsewhere, a wide range of motive power was used on branch
lines, predominately twenty hundreds (Class Y3/3a/4) on mine runs, until
the late 1950's. Class Z1b's were used where weight was an issue.
Main-line jobs with twenty-one hundreds (Class Y5/6/6a/6b) and electric
motors (Class LC1/2) moved trains of empties to and loads from
branch-line yards. Passenger runs used Class E2a's, except for a Class M
on the North Fork Branch. A Class K1 was known to grace the head end of
the Buchanan Branch Mixed, although a Class Y3 was regular power. The
Tug River Local freight out of Williamson turned at Wilcoe Yard on the
Tug Fork Branch with a Class M2. The Blackford Turn out of Bluefield
down the Clinch Valley to the Honaker Branch used a Class G1. By the
late 1950's, displaced by diesels on main-line jobs, twenty-one hundreds
bumped twenty hundreds on mine runs. Starting in 1950, the other jobs
were gradually cut off, a few getting diesels before so.

Best of the Season to All,

Grant Carpenter