Last Steam Run Abingdon Branch

Fri Dec 13 12:43:56 EST 2019

Thanks for this info Bud.

Much has been published/recorded about the final runs of steam in passenger service on the Bristol Line in Dec 1957. I did not realize that freight service was also dieselized on Jan 1, 1958 (except for the Huckleberry as you state). Don’t believe I’ve seen that recorded anywhere in print, but it is confirmed by NW records Gordon Hamilton supplied to the archives back in 2005. Bristol made 301 steam dispatches in Nov 1957; 150 in Dec 1957; and 0 in Jan 1958.

Also, I think it would be safe to say that steam wrapped up on the Abingdon Branch sometime in the fall of 1957. Loco and date would be very nice to know.

John Garner