Last steam runs

Thu Dec 12 13:42:24 EST 2019

The last steam run on a particular railroad or specific branch are often
times elusive as all get out. The N&W was fortunate as it kept steam and
mainline steam longer than just about any other Class 1 back in the 1950s
and because of that, much more has survived regarding "lasts" of all sorts
than many other roads.

Ditto for leasing of units whatever they might have been. Pennsy was
notorious or was it more noted for power shortages I presume it was, for
borrowing and leasing various units which were stored serviceable. Among
its most noteworthy leased units were a bunch of ATSF 2-10-4's in 1956.
RF&P Generals and Governors around 1951 and as noted herein, some N&W
Y-3's, 5's and Y-6B's.

Finding the last steam run before full dieselization is another fun fiasco,
chasing down some really empty rabbit holes for some roads. Some, Like
Southern made a big play for an official "last", but then there are also
some so-called "Flying Dutchmen" type stories of later steam ops as well.
Some lines had lots of documentation, (e.g Shenandoah Division) which Mason
Cooper has delineated in his fine work on that branch/division, but often
times others aren't quite so definitive.

I've been trying to get the last steam runs for Southern out of DC for many
years and while I have a pretty good idea of around when, getting the exact
date and engine number is elusive. Ditto for C&O out of DC, although an
excursion in June 1953 is well-documented, but I'l more like to get an in
service type event. The Manassas Branch I have tried to get a "last" date
but thus far, no luck.

I have been told the N&W still had steam service on the Southern to Monroe,
just north of Lynchburg, until the end of REGULARLY scheduled steam
(December 31,1957), but I'd sure like to find something definitive for that
also.

And the list can go, as mentioned previously, the Abingdon Branch, even the
Huckleberry and so many more.

If anyone has some specific lasts, I would be delighted to see such info.

Bob Cohen