Norfolk Division Local Freights and Turns

Wed Nov 27 09:50:50 EST 2019

At Halsey (actually within the city limits of Lynchburg) there was a coal dealer and Lynchburg Ready Mix (concrete) and perhaps one other industry served in the 1950s.  There was a derailment of an engine (steam) at Halsey around 1955-57 and I recall going there and watching the work to re-rail it.  Many others gathered also and in this different time there was no effort by N&W to restrict watchers from the site.

Interestingly, the original N&W mail line from Forest to Halsey is still in place to service the concrete plant still at Halsey.

    Ray Smoot