Questions from Arrow Vol 35, Issue3

Fri Nov 1 06:51:06 EDT 2019

Roger

I believe that the flues and tubes were the easiest to get and make a quicker return on value to the scrapper, and that is what the scrapping business was all about, a quick return on investment. This is typical of many scrapping photos of the era that I have seen.

On the drawing on 44-45, if you look closely at the lower right corner in the data block, you will note that the drawing is from the Balmar Corporation Manufacturer of Devices for Franklin Railway Supply, who provided the boosters, so N&W did not choose to represent a 2-8-2, it was the drawing from Franklin.

Best
Ken Miller