Roanoke Belt Line Right-of-Way Question

Wed Oct 23 17:10:28 EDT 2019

John, you are correct. The Rorer line (and it’s Rorer, not Rohrer) cut
across present day Brandon Avenue below Towers mall, approximately behind
Wheelers Laundry. It ran towards Wasena along the river and crossed just to
the right of today’s Wasena Bridge.

The land transfers are a last bit of research I have yet to do. Abram is
raises a good point, in that the Rorer land would have been mostly
abandoned after the successor iron company moved its ore washing operations
closer to the mine, and built a transfer platform directly at the Winston
Salem track near present-day Tanglewood Mall. However, I still haven’t done
the vital courthouse research on all the land transfers to see what that
story looks like.

I’m also not at my files, so I can’t recall when the beltline was
constructed, but I seem to recall it was before the narrow gauge track was
abandoned. There was a necessary diamond which we still haven’t found a
drawing for, and it would be located along the River between Brandon Avenue
and the ice house which is now condominiums.

Stephen Warren