At the top - Ringing the DS from Whitetop - Hello, Mr. Duncan !

Mon Oct 21 07:18:43 EDT 2019

Apologies as I have had Mr. Duncan off line for a few days as we ventured north to Strasburg. I am driving him back to his home on the hill today and will pass word that his knowledge is being sought after! Thanks,Will Sadler
-------- Original message --------From: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Date: 10/20/19  4:42 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: N&W Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Subject: Re: At the top  - Ringing the DS from  Whitetop - Hello, Mr. Duncan ! Well, Mr. Thieme's photo of the remains of the Whitetop turn-table also answers another question:  How many communications circuits were on the Abingdon Branch?There are four insulators on the pole.  Since we know that the Abingdon Branch, being built quite late, was operated by telephones rather than by telegraph, and that a telephone circuit requires two wires, we may deduce that there were two telephone circuits on the Branch.  (Vis-a-vis telegraph circuits, which require only one wire and use an earth return.)The Time Tables give us the long-and-short combinations for ringing the various stations.  But now let me ask Mr. Duncan, since he worked those jobs, and if he is on the wire -- What was the ring combination for the Train Dispatcher?  That is to say, if you were at Whitetop and wanted to raise the DS on the Train Wire, what combination of longs-and-shorts would you use for him?And while you are at it Mr., Duncan,  How did you rung the DS from the phone circuits on the Saltville Branch, the North Carolina Branch, and also from the Narrows and Potts Valley Branches, if you ever heard about those two.===========================================                  Sent to You from my Telegraph KeySuccessor to the MAGNETIC TELEGRAPH LINE of 1844===========================================