Was Re: Roller Bearings and the Y6-b, Now Y6b Development

Wed Oct 16 11:37:53 EDT 2019

/On 10/15/2019 11:01 PM, NW Mailing List wrote://
/
> /Jimmy /
> /I understand your concern but the railroad industry determined that
> about 90% of the maintenance cost of the average steam engine was
> boiler related.  N&W built engines with cast frames and roller
> bearings so the added machinery maintenance would likely have been a
> low percentage of total maintenance costs and not a big deal./
> /
> /
> /Regards/
> /John Rhodes //
> /
John,

     I disagree. With a complete other cylinder in the middle, along
with an additional three valves, maintenance would vastly slow down.
Then there is the fact that said extra cylinder needs its own completely
different set of parts. You need to look at that 90% in a different
manner. If all of the work is being done on the boiler, that means that
something is right with the running gear. Add in all of your extra
mechanism with its hard to reach upkeep and I believe your 90% is
dropping down much lower.
     The men in the MP Dept. did the right thing!

Jimmy Lisle