Was Re: Roller Bearings and the Y6-b, Now Y6b Development

Wed Oct 16 10:31:21 EDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:09 AM Mike wrote:

> The practicable limits make very interesting reading but the folks in the
> corporate board room had to be more than uneasy with any further
> commitments to steam. The obvious savings by its elimination were not to be
> deigned.

Speaking of the board room, can anyone provide a date for a *Trains* article
that offered up the position that the N&W unloaded steam much more quickly
than it really needed to, at the direction of Stuart Saunders and his PRR
overlords. The author (can't remember who, but he had the standing to make
the claims) proposed that the N&W quickly moved to diesels to bump up the
value of its stock, which the Pennsy had to unload at the time. Saunders,
who had ambitions, wanted to make nice with his bosses and see that they
got the highest value for the stock sale, so he pushed the end of steam
much quicker than it actually needed to happen (yes, steam was in decline
but the N&W wasn't in bad shape as far as power, facilities, and operations
went -- although ending steam would eventually be inevitiable).

I have tried to use the *Trains* index and search but never met with
success in finding the article and I haven't had the time to pull out my
boxes of past issues to search through.

Bruce in Blacksburg