Roller Bearings and the Y6-b

Thu Oct 10 09:28:37 EDT 2019

Dave -

I’m not sure that clearances had anything important to do with such a decision.  I think they put them on the last five A’s just to create the only roller-bearing rod articulateds in the world, and to have them available for passenger service when needed.  They were expensive, and being around Bristol towards the end I didn’t see enough rod bearing trouble to warrant putting them on the Y’s, and the Bristol line and the north end of the Shenandoah Division were the two places where they ran the Y’s fastest.  I did see a couple of results of hot main rod back ends, but they were accurately blamed on improper operation of the locomotive – running and drifting the engines with the reverse lever hooked up too high ( I personally witnessed two instances of the same thing on Southern excursions in the 1970s, one on Consolidation 722 and one on Mikado 4501 where their beloved (!) retired General Road Foreman of Engines Walter C. Dove was running them hooked up too high.  I doubt if they even contemplated putting them on the Y’s.

- Ed King