475 out of the shops at Strasburg

Fri Sep 27 18:14:59 EDT 2019

Bud -

They needed the boiler tube pilots on the Abingdon Branch.  They hit an occasional rock up there that would have eaten up a footboard.

BTW – the 382 and 429 were different.  One had side boiler checks and the other the double top check.  The 382 had outside steam pipes to the cylinders and the 429 still had her inside steam passages.

Engine crews said the 382 was the better engine, but I can’t see that those two differences would have done the trick.

Best -

EdK