N&W Concrete Mile Posts

Mon Aug 26 09:58:09 EDT 2019

Don’t know about the first, but I’d suspect at Roanoke Shops for quality control.

The standard drawing L-142, Detail and Form for Standard Concrete Milepost was shown as issued on May 28, 1916, and issue 2 was September 28, 1926.

There was an earlier version of a concrete post sign, which were for the county line post, which was issued on July 14, 1909, so there might have been an earlier version.

A search of the archives for “Mile post” results in several drawings, but the first that came up is the earliest

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=101917 <https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=101917>

Indicates a triangular post, dated 1891, but is somewhat vague, and does not tell what the material was.

Ken Miller