Automatic train control - Shenandoah Division

Wed Aug 21 12:32:37 EDT 2019

Reprinted from Railway Age December 17, 1956

The Norfolk & Western has been gran­ted Interstate Commerce Commission permission to discontinue automatic cab signal­ing on 225.3 miles of single track and 12.8 miles of double track between Roa­noke, Va., and Hagerstown, Md.
This territory was equipped with automatic block signaling in 1924 and 1925. The continuous inductive train control and cab signaling system was added in 1925 and 1926. In 1933 the train con­trol was removed leaving the cab signal­ing. Between 1944 and 1953, centralized traffic control was installed.
Excerpts from the commission order authorizing the N&W to discontinue the cab signaling read as follows:
"The petitioner estimated that the cost for inspection and maintenance of cab signal equipment on its 84 locomotives used on its district during 1955 was $85,375 and about $20,000 for wayside equipment, or about a total of $105,000. During that period there were 120 cab signal failures."
"The N&W has ordered and expects de­livery in February 1957 of 50 diesel loco­motives to replace its present steam loco­motives. Unless it is permitted to dis­continue its cab signals it will either have to install the present type of equip­ment on its new diesels at a cost of about $342,000 and continue to contend with its present cab signal problems or replace the present system with a modern coded system at a cost of about $1,400,000 for wayside equipment and $304,000 for locomotive equipment. This expense, it contends, is not justified because cab signals are not required for safety of train operation in this territory."
"It is believed the discontinuance of these cab signals, and operation under a centralized traffic control system in this instance, will materially reduce safety and will add greatly to flexibility of petitioners train operation as well as result in reduced maintenance expendi­tures.”

To add to what Glenn said:

There is an article in the Arrow, Volume 1, Issue 5 that is a reprint from an N&W Magazine article from January 1927. I’m considering a redo of it with more material for a future Arrow. As we have a lot more on the subject now.

Basically, to answer your question, the ICC issued in order 13413, dated June 13, 1922 that, of course, is more complicated than easily explained, that a number of railroads should have a district installed with Automatic Train Control equipment on one operating district. The N&W probably chose the Shenandoah Division as it was operated under train order and block system, and the installation of signals and train control equipment was probably the easiest there.

Ken Miller