ex NKP & Wabash passenger cars

Wed Aug 7 20:26:07 EDT 2019

Southern didn’t join Amtrak so anything they were operating on 4/30/71 still operated on 5/1/71 and beyond. But the list of trains operating on 4/30/71 in the 1972 Kalmbach book Jounrey to Amtrak, 17/18 was only a Washington-Bristol train by then. The N&W portion was discontinued but Southern continued to operate it Washington-Lynchburg.

Are you saying there was a No. 18 on 5/1/71? 4/30/71 should have been the last day but maybe they ran it to get the equipment back. Looking at the schedule, I guess they had to - 17 of 4/30 would have run all the way to Bristol so there would have been no equipment in Lynchburg to run Southern’s 18 on 5/1.

Assuming the schedule I have from 10/70 was still true on 4/30/71, 18 left Bristol at 7:00am, Roanoke at 12:20pm, and Lynchburg at 1:30pm.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com