SD60s

Sat Jul 6 11:36:02 EDT 2019

Those of us who remember the steam era, with its coal smoke and exultant, loud exhausts, wonder how the emissions of a bunch of SD60s threaten the health of all of us.  Those of us who ran passenger GP9s (Redbirds) with the exhaust from the steam generators blowing down into the cab also wonder.  We’re still here.

Reminds me of the late Frank Collins running the 611 one day and listening to the young engineer complaining that the engine was hot, dirty and “you can’t see out of it”.  Frank enjoyed as much of that as he could stand and told the engineer “the railroad bujilt these engines back when they were hiring MEN to run their trains for them”.  That settled that.

Ed King