15th street roundhouse

Mon Jul 1 20:43:28 EDT 2019

Mike

That location was named named West Roanoke Lower Roundhouse (21 stalls), built 1889 with a 60 foot turntable and West Roanoke Upper Roundhouse (20 stalls) built 1905 with a 75 foot turntable.

Shaffers Crossing was built beginning in 1919 and completed in 1920 with 40 stalls and a 115-foot turntable, which is still in place, by the way.

The Roundhouses at 14th Street stayed in service until 1932, when all work was transferred to Shaffers Crossing. They remained standing for almost two years before being torn down in 1934.

Of course this leads to Mr. Burnett’s question of exactly where is West Roanoke, of which there are multiple answers!

Best
Ken Miller